In the early 1900’s a church called Smith’s Chapel was erected on a plot of land donated by G. F. Smith. This is located approximately one mile south on state road 684 off US 58 just west of Ewing, Virginia.
In 1942-43, that building was replaced by a new structure on the same plot. Building materials, finances, and labor were donated by interested persons of the area. Logs were given by Lizzie Monday, Oscar Monday, George Fugate, Elmo Yeary, and Royal Lemarr. Harrison Daniel donated the roof and Joe Yeary and Vaston Brooks each gave 100 lbs. of nails. Money was collected house-to-house with donations ranging from $.25 to $6.20 with one man giving his last $.30. After months of hard work and dedication (sometimes with only two men working) the building was completed in the winter of 1943. On Easter Sunday, 1943, the first service was held with Rev. J. Frank Greene as pastor. T.S. Stanley was appointed as moderator and Frank Smith as clerk. Billy Bob Belew held a six weeks revival in which 42 people were saved.
The church, with 13 charter members, was officially set in order on July 10, 1946, and named Ewing Assembly of God with the national headquarters being in Springfield, Missouri. The church is affiliated with the Appalachian District of the Assemblies of God, Ghent, West Virginia.
In the late 1940’s, an adjoining tract of land was purchased from Otto Fitts. On this land a parsonage was erected near the church which at this time was under the leadership of Rev. Harold D. Burris.
In the early 1950’s a small parcel of land was acquired from Mildred Parks. That made sufficient space for Sunday School rooms to be added to the back of the sanctuary and a road built. This addition was made when Re. Guy Stone was pastor.
Later, a small amount of land was acquired from Shrelda Stanley to enlarge the parking are and the parsonage lawn.
During 1984, when Rev. Stan Littleton was pastoring, the latest addition was made under the supervision of Benton Marcum. This included a nursery, pastor’s study, and restrooms.
During 1987 when Rev. Hershal D. Akens was pastoring, Willard Ayers gave enough land to enlarge the parking lot and provide a vegetable garden for the minister and his family.
During the past several years, there have been several additions to the church such as a handicap ramp and handrails, new windows, padding for the pews, central heat and air as well as a new picnic shelter.
Over the years there have been many ministers and missionaries come to visit the church as well as several gospel singers including Naomi and the Sego Brothers and the Glorylanders. The church has also been the setting for several weddings including Nancy Surber to Robert Gibson in 1960, Charlotte Bray to Keith Marcum in 1977, Mary Bray to Chester Smith in 1981, and Vicky Williams to David Bray in 1978.
During the history of the church, those who have served on the board of deacons and trustees include the following: T.F. Whited, Frank Smith, T.S. Stanley, Benton Marcum, O.B. Bray, Chester Smith, and Dorothy Stanley. Bonnie Marcum and Chester Smith have served as church secretary/treasurer.
The Assemblies of God grew out of the Pentecostal revival, which began in the early 1900s in places such as Topeka, Kansas, and the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles. During times of prayer and Bible study, believers received spiritual experiences like those described in the book of Acts. Accompanied by “speaking in tongues,” their religious experiences were associated with the coming of the Holy Spirit on the Jewish feast of Pentecost (Acts 2), and participants in the movement were dubbed “Pentecostals.” The Pentecostal movement has grown from a handful of Bible school students in Topeka, Kansas, to an estimated 600 million in the world today.
Many participants who were baptized in the Holy Spirit during revivals and camp meetings in the early 1900s were not welcomed back to their former churches. These believers started many small churches throughout the country and communicated through publications that reported on the revivals. In 1913, a Pentecostal publication, the Word and Witness, called for the independent churches to band together for the purpose of fellowship and doctrinal unity. Other concerns for facilitating missionaries, chartering churches and forming a Bible training school were also on the agenda.
Some 300 Pentecostals met at an opera house in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in 1914, and agreed to form a new fellowship of loosely knit independent churches. These churches were left with the needed autonomy to develop and govern their own local ministries, yet they were united in their message and efforts to reach the world for Christ. So began the General Council of the Assemblies of God.
Assemblies of God churches form a cooperative fellowship. As a result, the organization operates from the grass roots, allowing the local church to choose and develop ministries and facilities best suited for its local needs.